Intel® Developer Cloud
Help connecting to or getting started on Intel® Developer Cloud
138 Discussions

Unable to Develop on Jupyter Lab with VSCode

Scarlet1ssimo
Beginner

I hope this tutorial works for JupyterLab: https://console.cloud.intel.com/docs/tutorials/vs_code.html.

Following the instruction step 6, I noticed that I cannot download vscode-cli due to some firewall configuration:

uba694fa690176aea6b7b8c7c3f87ec9@idc-beta-batch-pvc-node-01:~$ curl -Lk 'https://code.visualstudio.com/sha/download?build=stable&os=cli-alpine-x64' --output vscode_cli.tar.gz
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 0
curl: (35) OpenSSL SSL_connect: Connection reset by peer in connection to code.visualstudio.com:443

Is there a way to connect to my node using vscode? Please help me with this. Thanks!

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Megat_Intel

Hi Scarlet1ssimo,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

For your information, the error you receive is due to the global settings in Jupyter Lab that are implemented due to security concerns. As of now, we recommend you access the Jupyter Lab environment by clicking the launch button in the Training and Workshops section.

We will check with the relevant team regarding this issue. On the other hand, could you let us know what you will be using the system for?

Regards,

Megat

0 Kudos
Peh_Intel

Hi Scarlet1ssimo,

You can download the zip file in your local machine and then upload the zip file to JupyterHub.

1) Download zip file to your local host.

https://code.visualstudio.com/sha/download?build=stable&os=cli-alpine-x64

2) Create a folder in JupyterHub.

3) Upload the downloaded zip file to the folder.

4) Unzip the file using command in the Termnial.

tar -xzf vscode_cli_alpine_x64_cli.tar.gz

5) Execute Visual Studio Code* CLI.

./code tunnel --accept-server-license-terms

6) Follow the rest of the instructions by referring to Visual Studio Code* Dev Tutorial.

vscode.JPG

Regards,

Peh

0 Kudos
Scarlet1ssimo
Beginner

Hi Peh,

Thanks for your information. This works for me!

0 Kudos
Scarlet1ssimo
Beginner

Hi Everyone,

I just found I cannot install any VSCode extension on the slurm node. Some are necessary to me, like, to preview data.

I think it's also due to network restriction.

Can we just add the vscode-related domains to some whitelist to resolve all this kind of things?

0 Kudos
Peh_Intel

Hi Scarlet1ssimo,

We don't have a white list for slurm.

Are you using school/corporate network? Is there any chance for you to try with other network?

Regards,

Peh

0 Kudos
Peh_Intel

Hi Scarlet1ssimo,

We have not heard back from you. I hope previous responses were sufficient to help you proceed. 

If you need any additional information from Intel, please submit a new question as this thread is no longer being monitored.

Regards,

Peh

0 Kudos