With more than 50 billion connected devices predicted by 2020, an interconnected world of intelligent systems is becoming a reality. As these devices become more pervasive, they must be properly connected, managed, and secured. Putting together the right combination of software to make these devices function properly is a major undertaking.
Software development platforms are an excellent way to accelerate the software design process. A well supported software development platforms brings all of the key elements needed by the software team to design, develop, test, and deploy an intelligent device. Wind River® has been developing software platforms for specific applications for many years. Recently they saw the need for a new platform that specifically addresses the needs of intelligent devices that are interconnected machine-to-machine (M2M).
Wind River Intelligent Device Platform is designed to enable M2M development by providing proven software and expertise to fuel rapid innovation and deployment of secure and reliable intelligent devices. This latest offering adds the security, connectivity, and manageability required for machine-to-machine device development, and is compatible with the new Intel® Intelligent Systems Framework, a set of interoperable solutions designed to address connecting, managing, and securing devices. It provides pre-integrated off-the-shelf components that can significantly reduce a manufacturer's development time. This new platform delivers on three essential concerns:
- Connected: Simplifies device connectivity for wireless and wired networks, speeding time-to-market and reducing expense for device manufacturers.
- Managed: Delivers pre-integrated and supported management software from best-in-class independent software vendors (ISVs), making it much easier to manage remote connected devices.
- Secure: Provides powerful and customizable security capabilities for protecting devices and their data.
Wind River Intelligent Device Platform builds on the company’s existing M2M technologies included in its Embedded Development Kit for M2M Smart Services, a plug-and-play hardware and operating system/middleware platform that is truly "application ready." To complement its M2M capabilities, Wind River has a strategic set of M2M partners that includes independent software vendors, value-added resellers, board vendors, and distributors.
Wind River Intelligent Device Platform is a complete software development environment for M2M applications, based on Wind River's Linux 4.3, the company’s industry-leading commercial embedded Linux operating system, which is standards-compliant and fully tested. It contains security features designed for M2M development, smart and connected capabilities that enable rich network options, and validated and flexible device management software. The core of the platform is a layer that contains configuration and build information for integrating other M2M components to generate an optimized, functional run-time image.
Inside the Intelligent Device Platform
Wind River has brought together many key software elements and ecosystem members to form the building blocks of the Intelligent Device Platform. Wind River Intelligent Device Platform features the following:
- Wind River Linux 4.3 operating system
- Linux has become ubiquitous with its widespread use in devices of all types. This commercial embedded Linux operating system, is standards-compliant and fully tested. It contains security features designed for M2M development, smart and connected capabilities that enable rich network options, and validated and flexible device management software. Linux developers are very comfortable using this as the operating system in many types of intelligent devices.
- Validated and supported middleware stack, including virtual machine, OMA DM, OSGi, TR-069, and home automation
- OMA DM is a device management protocol specified by Open Mobile Alliance. TR-069 is a specification for remote management of deployed devices that are typically used in wired customer premises equipment (CPE)*.
- The OSGi Alliance is a worldwide consortium of technology innovators that advances a proven and mature process to create open specifications that enable the modular assembly of software built with Java technology. Modularity reduces software complexity; OSGi is the best model to modularize Java.
- The TR-069 agent included in Wind River Intelligent Device Platform is OneAgent from Works Systems. This agent runs on a deployed device and provides a management channel for a centralized management console
- Wide range of connectivity options, including 3G, Bluetooth, Ethernet, Wi-Fi, ZigBee, and Z-Wave across PAN, LAN and WAN networks
- The wide range of connectivity options enables device developers to design devices that can connect to any of the most popular networks.
- Exegin's native ZigBee stack is a complete robust implementation that provides flexibility to integrate with various radio options and meet all ZigBee 802.15.4 specifications.
- Secure Remote Management, featuring customizable trusted boot, grsecurity for resource control, TPM secure key migration and integrity measurement
- Security has become the top concern for developers as devices become connected. Protecting them from external influences will be key to market of acceptance of intelligent devices.
- Wind River development tools including Wind River Workbench, based on the Eclipse framework, and Wind River build system for software integration
- These proven tools are familiar to many embedded software developers. They provide a familiar world-class development environment.
- Web-based configuration management for device provision, setup, and management
- Since the devices are already connected, web-based configuration management opens up a whole new world of services that can be installed and managed after deployment of the device.
Markets & Devices
Throughout the energy value chain, smart energy technology provides centralized monitoring of millions of devices to track peak usage patterns and energy disruptions, improving efficiency, reliability, and quality across the network. For example, Wind River Intelligent Device Platform software can provide intelligence to smart meters so that real-time voltage monitoring and control is possible using existing telecom service providers' infrastructure. As the Smart Grid develops, there are many possibilities for intelligent devices throughout the grid.
Through emerging applications such as patient monitoring and in-home patient care for seniors and patients with chronic conditions, mobile health technology can enable physicians and family members to cost-effectively improve care, respond to emergencies, and more accurately monitor and treat illnesses. Interconnected mobile devices for health management and care are quickly becoming a key component of the medical industry.
From railways to personal automobiles, intelligent systems technology is enhancing traditional ways to monitor cargo, increase fuel efficiency, route around traffic or construction, and improve safety. Digi International is using Intelligent Device Platform to build a new family of cloud-connected wireless M2M solutions, including a fleet management system. New initiatives within the railroad industry to improve safety and efficiency are going to be heavily dependent on interconnected and intelligent devices.
Building and Home Management
Management and automation for smart buildings are being enhanced by intelligent systems technology in multiple areas such as security, energy efficiency, predictive maintenance, and asset management. Wind River customer Sumitomo is using Intelligent Device Platform to deliver a smart-home automation gateway for leading global telecom service providers. The addition of WiFi and ZigBee to all types of home devices, from lighting, environment control, monitoring, to entertainment are making these devices dependent on communication between devices.
The Wind River Intelligent Device Platform promises to raise the capability and quality of device software to levels not possible in a timely and cost effective way for most software developers. The features of the platform will allow software teams to focus on value add software that can sit on the platform, leveraging the work of experts that will ensure that your devices are properly connected, managed, and secured.
Solutions in this blog:
- Connectivity - Top Picks (blogs, white papers, and more)
- Roving Reporter: An intelligent framework for connecting the Internet of (medical) Things