Portwell Gen2 Bypass increases system availability via a cost-saving design
Portwell Gen2 programmable bypass module, in practice, the programmable bypass mode allows network packets to flow in and out unattended when the appliance is shutting down. The programmable next boot-up status means that the Bypass or Open mode can be determined in advance before a system shuts down. This means that the system can be predetermined to reboot to the preferred status and is immediately ready to serve. Bypass mode status can be changed instantly by software commands. Each Bypass segment has its own WatchDog Timer (WDT), therefore, Bypass behavior can operate independently.
- Bypass/Open mode selectable by power failure
- System is monitored by WDT and bypass can be triggered by software hang while WDT is enabled
- Software programmable modes: Normal, Bypass and Open
- Bypass mode configurable by software for next boot-up
- The bypass function allows for load balancing as well as network failover options to increase system availability.
- An “integrated” bypass function is a cost-saving/relatively-inexpensive design method to increase system availability.
- Fully software programmable -- bypass, open and normal mode.