11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2016 1:57 PM by gabriel.thomas

Haswell design won't come out of reset with battery installed

PVWB Brown Belt

We have a Haswell and 82C226 based design that we have been working on for a while.

With no RTC battery installed, we apply power and we see BIOS output and postcodes changing.

If we install the battery and apply power, nothing happens.  The postcode indicator stays

at zero and there is no serial output.  The earliest difference in behaviour is that the

SUSWARN# signal (pin AG41) never goes high with the battery installed, but always

goes high with no battery installed.  There is a very unhelpful description of this signal

on page 203 of document 486708.  The Lava Canyon reference design has this connected

to SUSACK#, which we have also done in our design.  Does anyone have any suggestions

about what could be going on here?

Thanks, Paul.

• Re: Haswell design won't come out of reset with battery installed
          gabriel.thomas Brown Belt

Hello Paul,

Welcome back to the Intel Embedded Community.

We will contact you as soon as possible.

Regards,

Gabriel Thomas.

Hello Paul,

To minimize power consumption while in S3/S4/S5, the PCH supports a lower power, it is a lower featured version of these power states know as Deep Sx.

In this state, the suspend wells are powered off, while the Deep Sx Well (DSW) remains powered.

The Deep Sx capability and the SUSPWRDNACK pin functionality are mutually exclusive.

Please check the section 5.14.7.6.1 Entry Into Deep Sx - to see the set of conditions required to enter to this state.

The SUSWARN, performed by the PCH, is a handshake to ensure the platform is ready to enter Deep Sx. The PCH asserts SUSWARN# as notification that it is about to enter Deep Sx. Before the PCH proceeds and asserts SLP_SUS#, the PCH waits for SUSACK# to assert.

Table 5.14.10.7 SUSPWRDNACK/SUSWARN#/ GPIO30 Steady State Pin Behavior, summarize the SUSWARM# pin behavior.

I hope this information helps,

Best regards,

Gabriel Thomas

PVWB Brown Belt

Dear Gabriel,

Thank you for your reply.  The problem I am having is with coming out of reset.

I am starting with just the battery installed and applying Deep Sleep Well power

then Suspend Well power and then de-asserting pch_rsm_reset.  With no battery

installed, SUSWARN# signal goes high and we proceed with boot up.  With the

battery installed, SUSWARN# stays low.  Even if we ignore this and continue with

the power-up sequence, the system doesn't boot.

Sadly, the pin description doesn't describe what is supposed to happen when powering up the devices.

Thanks, Paul.

PVWB Brown Belt

Dear Gabriel,

Thank you for your reply.  In which document is the section 5.14.7.6.1?

I have been looking at 486711 and 486708, but I can't find this

section.  Which Intel document should I be looking at?

The case I am interested is applying power after the

battery is installed.  We start off with no power at all.  We install

the battery.  Then we apply power to the deep Sx well and on

through the other supplies as shown in one the power sequencing

diagrams.  Thanks, Paul.

Hello Paul,

This section is in the Document number 486708, page 190.

Regards,

Gabriel Thomas

PVWB Brown Belt

Dear Gabriel,

Sorry about the delay in replying.  I have been sick for a few days.

Thank you for the reference.  This part of the manual implies that the

Power Button signal is required to bring the processor out of reset.

The timing diagrams on page 328 and 329 which supposedly show

the processor coming out of reset don't show the Power Button signal

at all, but, at least I can experiment with this.  If there are any other

timing diagrams in the manual showing the relationship between the

Power Button signal and all the other power control signals, that

would be very useful.

Thanks, Paul.

Hello Paul,

I am sorry to heard that you were sick, hopefully you will be better soon.

Regarding your question, I am going to check it and I will contact you as soon as possible.

Regards,

Gabriel Thomas

PVWB Brown Belt

Dear Gabriel,

I have been looking at some more of the PCH signals after applying power.  The chief

difference I have noticed is that in the failing case SLP_S5# never goes high.  The timing

diagrams imply that it should go high, although whether this is supposed to always

happen or happen in response to the PWRBTN signal is not at all clear.  If I

remove the battery and apply power, SLP_S5# goes high a few mS after SLP_SUS#

goes high.  The only way I can get the board to boot with the battery installed,

is to ground RTC_RST#.  As this clears the RTC, this isn't a practical solution.

We currently take the PWRBTN signal low for 500mS sometime after SLP_SUS#

goes high in an attempt to boot up the board.  I have also tried grounding the WAKE#

signal, but nothing except grounding RTC_RST# will make the board boot with the battery

installed  We have had problems with getting the board to boot ever since starting this

project, but we are really stuck now.  There seems to be no practical way to get this

processor to boot with the battery installed.

There is some mention in the literature about areas of NVRAM that can have bits set

that will stop normal booting.  Is it possible that these are part of the problem?  If

so how do we workaround this?

Thanks, Paul.

PVWB Brown Belt

Dear Gabriel,

I have downloaded a couple of 'scope traces, which I hope you can find.

There doesn't seem to be any way to associate images with this conversation.

The images are PR2i_SlpS5Good.tif and PR2i_SlpS5Fail.tif

On both traces the following signals can be identified by colour

CL_RST Green

PWR_BTN Purple

RSMRST Blue

SLP_S5# Yellow.

The PR2i_SlpS5Fail.tif image is the case with the battery installed.  SLP_S5# never goes high,as it

is supposed to.  CL_RST DOES behave as shown in the power sequence diagrams.  However,

the system doesn't boot.

The PR2i_SlpS5Good.tif image shows the case without the battery, where the processor boots

correctly.  SLP_S5# can be seen going high.  However, in this case, CL_RST never gets driven

low as described in the timing diagrams or as occurs with the battery installed.

We believe we have the correct timing for the PWR_BTN, does the timing look correct to

you?   We are now doing the No Deep Sx power application method, using the timing

shown in doc 486708 page 238.  Are there any other pre-cursor signals not shown that we

need to drive differently?

It's really odd that neither case shows the part operating as completely as described in the documentation.

Any assistance gratefully accepted!

Thanks, Paul.

PVWB Brown Belt

Dear Gabriel,

I have noticed one other difference between the working

case with no battery installed and the non-booting case

with the battery installed.

In the working case, I get SPI Flash clock transitions about

140mS after SLP_S5 goes high.  I presume this is the "soft-strap"

data being read.  In the non-working case, SLP_S5 never goes

high and the SPI clock just gets driven high once and stays high.

Are there some GPIO pins that need to be strapped in a particular

way to make this board boot with the battery installed?  We have attempted

to copy the reference designs as closely as possible as regards the GPIO

straps.  We have been trying to get this problem solved for several weeks now.

I can download 'scope images of these cases if that would be useful.

Thanks, Paul.