11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 29, 2016 10:40 AM by Carlos_A

i210is with SGMII

Guido Green Belt

Hi,

we are developing a board with I210is using SGMII to a broadcom switch BCM53134O. We are using the lates image "Dev_Start_I210_SerdesKX_NOMNG_8Mb_A2_3.25_0.03.bin" and have set the Extende device control Register to SGMII 0x129400C0 (Bit23:22). The Linux Driver is 5.33

Ethtool is reporting and we got no connection to the Broadcom interface

Settings for eth1:

Supported ports: [ FIBRE ]

Supported link modes:   100baseT/Full

1000baseT/Full

Supports auto-negotiation: Yes

Advertised link modes:  Not reported

Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric

Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes

Speed: Unknown!

Duplex: Unknown! (255)

Port: FIBRE

PHYAD: 0

Transceiver: external

Auto-negotiation: on

Supports Wake-on: pumbg

Wake-on: g

Current message level: 0x00000007 (7)

Link detected: no

I'd expect that the Port should switch from FIBRE to SGMII.

Is there something else which needs to be ajusted

regards

Guido Steinhauer

• Re: i210is with SGMII
          Carlos_A Brown Belt

Hello Guido,

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

In order to better understand your previous communication, we would like to address the following questions:

Could you please confirm if your design has implemented the suggestions that answer the questions 2.16 and 2.30, on pages 10 and 12 of the Intel(R) Ethernet Controller I210/I211 Frequently Asked Questions?

Could you please give us all the specifications, information, and web sites related to the mentioned switch?

Could you please clarify us if the used image is included at the following file? In case that the answer is negative, please use the image that better fit to your needs contained within at the Intel(R) Ethernet Controller I210/I211-AT Production NVM Images document # 513655, which can be found at:

https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/secure/intelligent-systems/privileged/gbe-i210-i211-nvm-images.html

Please give us all the information requested through these questions to better help you.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Best Regards,

Carlos_A.

Guido Green Belt

Hello Carlos,

thank you for your reply. We are using the FAQ Document you ask for. Only with this document I came to know that I have to use KX image instead of SGMII image as described in question 2.16. The Broadcom Switch is acting as a SGMII PHY. Therefore I think question 2.30 "i210 is a MAC" would be ok.

We are using one of the image from the document #513655, latest available version. Also we are using the latest linux driver "igb Version 5.3.3.5".

Regarding the information of the Broadcom switch. The specification is confidential with a NDA: The switch isn't available in the market till now and I cannot post it here in the public area. Is there an other posibility to handover this document?

regards

Guido

Carlos_A Brown Belt

Hello Guido,

Thanks for your reply.

It is important to clarify for Intel LAN parts, SGMII is specifically used to talk to SFP cages. When talking to an onboard device - such as a switch, KX is the image to use.

We hope that this information is useful to you.

Best Regards

Carlos_A.

Guido Green Belt

Hello Carls,

we have used the KX image, but we are still have no connection between i210is to the switch controller via SGMII interface. There are several KX images available. We tried SMB and NOMNG. Is there a description with detailed information regarding the settings of each KX image.

Meanwhile we have also tried to patch a SFF Module direct to the i210is, but also with no success.

Any further ideas

regards

Guido

Carlos_A Brown Belt

Hello Guido,

Thanks for your reply.

The i210 connects to an SGMII switch using the SERDES interface in KX mode. If it is an unmanaged device, then do not use a managed NVM image like NCSI or SMBus.

The switch has to be configured for KX on the interface that is attached to the i210. No MDIO or I2C connection, just the transmit / receive pairs.

The switch only needs to be configured for SGMII on the interface attached to a PHY, not the i210.

We hope that this information may help you.

Best Regards,

Carlos_A.

PVWB Brown Belt

You probably have to change the Broadcom switch settings

to match the KX protocol.  SGMII is very similar but has extra

features for different data rates that are not in KX.  Hope this helps.

Guido Green Belt

Hello Carls, PVWB,

meanwhile we double check the settings. We found that the SGMII interface from i210is is working at 1,5V level. The Broadcom switch is able to work at 1,5V or 2.5V. So the strapping was wrong, BUT the connection is still not working.

PVWB mentioned that different data rates are may be one point. Intel i210is is working only at 1.25Gb. We are checking this now with Broadcom. The switch is able to work at 1.25 Gb or 2.5Gb.

I'll came back with the results asap.

regards

Guido

Guido Green Belt

Hello Carlos,

Broadcom like to know the following

Please ask how they advise to configure i210 device to a fully compliant SGMII switch instead of KX. If it is purely an electrical interface then there is a chance that SGMII and KX can simply be connected but you will have to check the electrical and timing details of the interfaces.

is there another way for a connection between i210? There is a image for SGMII, what are the differences regarding the above mentioned "fully comliant SGMII" and i210 SGMII interface

regards

Guido

Carlos_A Brown Belt

Hello Guido,

Thanks for your reply.

You can load the SGMII image on the i210, it will expect an external SGMII PHY to be connected to the MDIO / I2C interface. If it gets no response on that interface, the driver will report the device inoperable and exit. When the i210 is configured for SGMII, it will only operate a Marvell 88E1111 / 88E1112 PHY. With custom software drivers, it is possible to support other model external PHYs, but not SGMII switches. The firmware to support SGMII to a switch is nonexistence from the Intel perspective.

This is the Intel standard way to support SGMII switch designs, and there are many designs currently working in this manner.

We hope that this information is useful to you.

Best Regards,

Carlos_A.

Guido Green Belt

Hello Carlos,

meanwhile we have analyzed the signals with a scope. It seem, that with the KX image the i210is send a clear 1.25Gb signal at the TX lines. The Broadcom switch didn't send any signal. I'll close the discussion, because I think it is a Broadcom task.

thanks for you support

regards

Guido