7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2016 10:51 AM by Carlos_A

Oscillator on I210

OB1 Community Member

Hi,

I'm a bit confused about the connection of an oscillator on the I210. In the datasheet, it is recommanded to use a capacitive divider circuit to limit the xtal input voltage to the I210. In the design checklist, it is recommanded to use a AC coupling capacitor. In the reference design schematic, there is no capacitive divider, nor an ac coupling capacitor.

Could you tell me what is finally recommanded?

• Re: Oscillator on I210
          Carlos_A Brown Belt

Hello OB1,

Thank you for contacting the Intel Embedded Community.

We suggest to use the latest documentation because it includes the solutions to discovered problems after the release of previous version of these documents.

We hope that this information is useful to you.

Best Regards,

Carlos_A.

OB1 Community Member

Carlos,

Since the I210 Design Checklist is the latest document, the AC coupling capacitor is the way to go. Is there a typical capacitor value recommanded?

Thanks

Carlos_A Brown Belt

Hello OB1,

Thanks for your reply.

The recommended capacitor values are stated in the "Schematic" tap , on the "Clock Source (Oscillator Option)" row, specifically on the second "check names" and "detail" columns of the I210 Design Checklist.

Please let us know if this information is useful to you.

Best Regards,

Carlos_A.

OB1 Community Member

The section you are referring to is the power supply decoupling capacitor:

"Use a local 0.1 µF decoupling capacitor on the oscillator power supply."

PVWB Brown Belt

We had the same confusion about using an oscillator.  We found the amplitude

does have to be reduced to about 1.5V.  The capacitative divider does seem to

work.  If you just use a capacitor between the oscillator and the i210, as implied

in the design checklist, the part doesn't work at all.  We spent about a week

figuring out the checklist was wrong!  We used two 47pF capacitors for our

potential divider from a 3.3V output device.  Hope this helps.