29 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2016 11:44 AM by Carlos_A

HD BMP tool

chadan Green Belt

Does anyone know why the HD Binary Modification Program(BMP) does not with Baytrail boards?

Also, where can I download the latest version of HD Binary Modification Program(BMP)?

Thanks

• Re: HD BMP tool
          Carlos_A Brown Belt

Hello chadan,

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

We have received your questions. We are working to give you the information that may help you as soon as possible.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Best Regards,

Carlos_A.

AdolfoS Brown Belt

Hello chadan

Could you please clarify how is the BMP tool failing in your platform?

How did you obtain the tool?

The tool came in form of a .msi installer or a .exe file?

Best Regards,

Adolfo Sanchez

chadan Green Belt

Adolfo,

The tool runs fine and it shows that the resolution is being set to 720x 400(03h), but when running motherboard resolution is 800x600.

Seems that the tool is not setting the resolution or is setting it to 800x600. We are seeing this problem with all of our Baytrail motherboards.

Since we are a motherboard manufacturer, tool was given to us by Intel.

Thanks,

Daniel Chavez

Jetway Computer Corp.

AdolfoS Brown Belt

Hello @chadan

What type of display or displays are you using to test your board?

Have you make sure that the display support the 720x400 text mode? You can verify the supported modes on the specifications of the display.

Best Regards,

Adolfo

chadan Green Belt

The monitor Im using supports 720x400 beacuse i can use a Skylake motherboard that had Its VBIOS resoultion changed to 720x400 using BMP tool and it works fine.

When i use the BMP tool on any Baytrial motherboard resolution stays at 800x600

AdolfoS Brown Belt

Hello chadan

What type of monitor are you testing? Have you tested with a different model?

Is your monitor working on EDID or EDILESS mode?

Are you working with GOP vbios, EMGD vbios or PCG Legacy vbios?

Have you checked that the monitor DTD timings match the once listed on the BMP tool?

If that fails as a work around, the graphics engineers I consulted recommend to test an OEM custom mode to set the desired resolution.

I will be waiting for your feedback.

Best Regards,

Adolfo Sanchez

chadan Green Belt

Adolfo,

Please see answers below:

What type of monitor are you testing? Have you tested with a different model?

We have used many different EDID monitors

Is your monitor working on EDID or EDILESS mode?

EDID

Are you working with GOP vbios, EMGD vbios or PCG Legacy vbios?

What ever the Baytrail CPU comes with. GOP Vbios?

Have you checked that the monitor DTD timings match the once listed on the BMP tool?

No, but monitors used have no problems with Haswell motherboards with 720x400 resolution

chadan Green Belt

We dont have or know what the .bsf file is.

I sent them our .bin Bios file and monitor spec. All monitors show the same resolution, so it can't be the monitor.

Also, does your Baytrail motherboards show the correct Resolution(720x400)?

Are you able to change Vbios resolution on your baytrail motherboards using BMP tool?

We want to make sure BMP tool works with Baytrail chip.

Thanks,

Daniel

AdolfoS Brown Belt

Hello chadan

Thanks for your patience

I have been searching for a CRB to test the eDP functionality, unfortunately all the boards that I have available don’t have the eDP port enable (there are 2 versions of the Board, one with DP/HDMI and one with eDP/DP configurations)

About the .bsf file, this file is also necessary, since you are using the BMP tool, to open the .bin file

It is likely to be on the same folder with the .bin file (please refer to the picture).

BMP_cap1.PNG

I received your e-mail, however there was no attachment in it, please sent the .bin  and .bsf files so we can check your configuration.

In any case the recommendation from our engineers is to use OEM mode to configure the eDP panel.

Best regards,

Adolfo Sanchez

chadan Green Belt

Your server is rejecting files.

I sent you an email with a Dropbox link to files and that was also rejected

Dropbox - NF9N.rar

Thanks

Carlos_A Brown Belt

Hello Chavez91,

Thanks for your update.

We have downloaded the files.

We are reviewing them to give you the information that may help you as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance for your patience and understanding.

Best Regards,

Carlos_A on behalf of AdolfoS.

AdolfoS Brown Belt

Hello chadan

Thanks for providing the binary files.

On your e-mail you mentioned the Samsung 2494HM monitor, this is not an eDP monitor, based on this could you please provide the following information:

1) Please describe the configuration of displays for your board (how many ports and what type of ports are you connecting), if possible add a diagram block.

2) You are observing the problem with 720x400 text mode just on the eDP or on the other types of displays?

Also please possible provide the following information:

1) The EDID table of your panels as provided by Windows (the values can be exported from the Windows Registry into a text file)

The EDID info usually is under the Path

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrenControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\{DisplayName}\{GUID}\DeviceParamenters

Additionally please confirm is changing the Display Scaling option to Maintain Aspect Ratio has any effect on the issue.

I will be waiting for your feedback.

Best Regards,

Adolfo Sanchez

chadan Green Belt

Adolfo,

Please see answers below:

1) Please describe the configuration of displays for your board (how many ports and what type of ports are you connecting), if possible add a diagram block.

1 VGA, 1 HDMI

2) You are observing the problem with 720x400 text mode just on the eDP or on the other types of displays?

We are not using eDP, our Baytrail boards only have VGA and HDMI

Dropbox - SAM_1316.JPG

Dropbox - SAM_1317.JPG

Also please possible provide the following information:

1) The EDID table of your panels as provided by Windows (the values can be exported from the Windows Registry into a text file)

The EDID info usually is under the Path

Dropbox - DeviceParameters.txt

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrenControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\{DisplayName}\{GUID}\DeviceParamenters

Additionally please confirm is changing the Display Scaling option to Maintain Aspect Ratio has any effect on the issue.

We tried that Option and it no affect on issue

Thanks,

AdolfoS Brown Belt

Hello chadan

I have been able to replicate your issue on one of our boards.

I am consulting with the graphic engineers for more advice about your issue.

Best Regards,

Adolfo Sanchez

chadan Green Belt

Thank you for looking into this issue!

Daniel

chadan Green Belt

Hello Adolfo,

Any news on my Display resolution issue?

Thanks,

Daniel

AdolfoS Brown Belt

Hello chadan

I am still waiting from a response from the next support level, I will ping them again today.

I apologize for the delay.

Best Regards,

Adolfo Sanchez

chadan Green Belt

Adolfo,

Please let me know if graphic engineers are looking into this matter.

I haven't heard anything in a while.

Thanks,

Daniel

AdolfoS Brown Belt

Hello chadan

I have been asking for updates about your case weekly with the next level of support, however the progress on this case has been slow.

I performed some test on my own to see if that made things work, including:

1) Use the Mode Removal Table to ban all the modes except 03h (720x400) text mode.

2) Use OEM Custom Mode, with booth Custom DTD table or panel natvie DTD table.

3) Disable all BIOS HOOKS

At this stage, there is little that I can perform on my own, as further debugging would probably involve tools that I don't have available analyzers to see the behavior of the communication.

I apologize for the slowness of the progress of the case.

Best Regards,

Adolfo Sanchez.

chadan Green Belt

Adolfo,

Thanks for the update. Hopefully there will be a solution to this matter soon.

Daniel

Carlos_A Brown Belt

Hello chadan,

Thanks for your reply.

In Mode 3 may support 720 x 400, or 640 x 200, or 640 x 350 resolutions in text mode only for DOS.  It is important to let you know that DOS support is unplanned of records anymore. The VBIOS infrastructure still supports it. However, it is not validated by Intel anymore.

It seems that the display has an EDID, which may force to support only 800 x 600 resolution. It specifies graphics mode, so the EDID matching algorithm sets this resolution.

You may use the BMP Tool to disable EDID and see if Mode 3 is going to 720 x 400.  You need to set a DTD to it may work.

In case that this is an eDP, the display should be set to native resolution. Modes of lower resolution could output native but then it is upscaled to the native resolution.

Best Regards,

Carlos_A .