16 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2017 11:41 AM by Carlos_A

Image file Selection

elango!! Green Belt

Hi,

I have an i210is chip,i want to make a connection between I210is and ethernet switch with GE PHYs by SGMII interface.

I want to access the registers in Ethernet switch via MDIO interface in I210is.

For this case which image file should i use? if i have to use an KX image file,can i use an KX_SMBus image file?

Regards,

Elango

• Re: Image file Selection
          AdolfoS Brown Belt

Hello elango!!

The KX image are for connecting with a Backplane Ethernet KX.

You can check section 2.16 of the I210 FAQ

The production images archive (document 513655) contains a list of images and their features. The
          SGMII image is intended for use with the I210-IS when interfacing with an external SGMII PHY and
          controlling it via the I
          2C or MDIO interface. When connecting to an SGMII switch, use the appropriate
          KX image.

Best regards,

Adolfo Sanchez

elango!! Green Belt

Thanks AdolfoS,

I don't know in what way eeupdate/lanconf tool programming the external flash. whether those tools using an PCIe/SMBus communication or JTAG connection for programming the external flash.

can i program the external flash connected with i210is using eeupdate/lanconf tool, without JTAG connection between Motherboard PCIe slot and i210is.

Regards,

Elango

Carlos_A Brown Belt

Hello, elango!!:

Thanks for your reply.

The tools utilize the PCI interface to the LAN part, which writes the image to the flash.

We hope that this information is useful to you.

Best regards,

Carlos_A.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      elango!! Green Belt

Hello, Carlos_A:

From one of your post, i understand that "Intel provided drivers will only operate a Marvell 88E1111 / 88E1112 PHY, When the i210 is configured for SGMII."

If i'm using other than Marvel 88E1111 / 88E1112 PHY, Do i have to customize the intel provided driver for i210?

Regards,

Elango

Carlos_A Brown Belt

Hello, elango!!:

Thanks for your reply.

You are correct, anything other than those two PHY’s need a customized driver.

Please refer to the Intel(R) Linux IGB driver for guidance on this.

By the way, it is important to let you know that in case that the drivers will be developed by you, they should be tested and validated on your own.

Best regards,

Carlos_A.

elango!! Green Belt

Hello Carlos_A,

In my design,i made PCI connections between i210is and PCIe x1 connector like below image.(Connected i210is PE_TN and PE_TP pins to the PE_RN and PE_RP pins of PCIe x1 Connector with respectively).

My_schematic.jpg

When i refer the "I210-AS/IS reference design SERDES - SFP ", there i210is pins PE_TN and PE_TP are connected to PE_RP and PE_RN of PCIe x1 connector with  respectively,like below image. The plus and minus signals are swapped here.reference design.jpg

Could you please suggest us, which one we can follow for correct design.Do we need to swap those connections in our design like reference design.

Reference document details:

Title : I210- AS/IS REFERENCE SCHEMATIC

Document number : 490116

Rev : 1.90

Carlos_A Brown Belt

Hello, elango!! :

Thanks for your reply.

We suggest you follow the guidelines stated in the documentation of the Intel devices because these conditions have been validated for the proper functionality of them. In case that you need to make your own implementation, it should be tested and validated on your own.

We hope that this information may help you.

Best regards,

Carlos_A.

elango!! Green Belt

Hi Carlos_A,

I ordered some samples of I210IS (WGI210IS S LJXX) device from Mouser, but when i noticed the received IC top marking, it showing that I210AS !!!

Is I210is top marking is I210AS???

when i came through the some posts, i get to know that i210AS is commercial temperature range device and i210IS is industrial temperature range device otherwise function of both IS and AS is same, is it correct???

Also i referred the Intel Ethernet controller I210 Specification update document. There is no trace of I210IS top marking picture.Do i need to replace my IC in Mouser from I210AS to I210IS ?

Regards,

elango!!

Carlos_A Brown Belt

Hello, elango!!:

Thanks for your update.

It is important to let you know that the AS and IS have the same functionality, the only difference is temperature rating.

In case that you require the IS option, you would need to take that up with Mouser.

Best regards,

Carlos_A.

elango!! Green Belt

Hi Carlos_A

We designed NIC card using I210is device and Marvell switch. Our design also went through intel team for both schematic and PCB design verification.

When i tried to program the blank flash which is attached to i210, i couldn't program the flash. So i just tried/tested to program the iNVM using "I210_Invm_SerDesKX_APM_v0.6" file by EEUPDATE tool.

I used below command to program my iNVM using EEUPDATE tool.

<pathname for EEUPDATE folder> /EEUPDATE.exe /NIC=<select the I210 adapter number> /INVMUPDATE /FILE=< I210_Invm_APM.txt or I210_Invm_NoAPM.txt>

After updating this above mentioned file in my iNVM my device ID also changed to 8086-157C from 8086-1531. After that i tried to erase this iNVM content using Lanconf  tool. But when i'm trying to select my adapter in lanconf tool, i am not getting option to erase the iNVM content, i am getting below attached image error.

Error.png

Its showing, ERROR: Initialization failed with code c86a2002 - "Adapter Initialization failed " showing only device PCI menus - verify OS/BIOS assigned PCI resources available at "OS memory resources menu".

Now i want to erase my iNVM content which i was already uploaded in to the iNVM and wanna make my device as blank with device ID 8086-1531 for programming the flash. Is there any other option to erase the iNVM content and make it as blank flash/iNVM with device ID 8086-1531?? Please help me to get out of this issue.

Regards,

elango!!

elango!! Green Belt

Hello Carlos_A

I have solved the above mentioned error "Error: Initialization failed with code c86a2002 - "Adapter Initialization failed " showing only device PCI menus - verify OS/BIOS assigned PCI resources available at "OS memory resources menu" by installing the driver.

But i have written my i210is INVM mistakenly using "I210_Invm_SerDesKX_NoAPM_v0.6.txt" file and now my device ID is 0x157C (Flash Less Mode), But my i210is device connected to Marvell switch with SGMII interface and also i210is connected to external flash. So when i'm trying to write the SGMII binary file into the external flash memory using lanconf tool, its always showing "Flash Write Failed". I think its because of device ID 0x157C programmed in my iNVM. Moreover my flash and i210is device getting power same time, my lanconf tool also recognising connected external flash device and showing its part number.but i couldn't write anything inside flash device.

Could you please help me to get out of this issue? Also is there any possibility to erase the programmed iNVM. If i couldn't erase my iNVM, can i change my device id to 0x1531? Here i'm not using any external programmer to flash the device, i'm just trying to program the flash using lanconf tool.

Regards,

Elango M

AdolfoS Brown Belt

Hello, Elango M,

Could you please indicate the steps that you are using to write on the Flash memory?

If possible make a back up of your current image using the "dumpeeimg" option of the Lanconf tool.

Please make sure that you are usin a .bin image and not a .hex image.

Best regards,

Adolfo Sanchez

elango!! Green Belt

Hi AdolfoS

In lanconf tool I selected EEPROM/FLASH option from main menu and in flash/EEPROM menu I selected flash option. In flash menu I selected write flash option and selected binary file which I want to write into flash. Initially it's taking more time to erase the flash. After sometime it's showing flash write failed.

Selected my adapter - flash/EEPROM - flash - write flash-selected bin file to program the flash.

Flash detected in lanconf tool and I can see the manufacturer name and partnumber of flash in lanconf tool.

I tired to dump my flash but nothing inside in dumped file.

I'm trying to program the. Bin file only.

Regards

Elango M

Carlos_A Brown Belt

Hello, elango!!:

Thanks for your update.

It is important to let you know that the iNVM is for the flashless design. Due to this fact, please avoid use to program the iNVM if you have a flash attached. For the flashless iNVM, you can only write it a handful of times. Maybe, it is impossible that you can erase it.

In this situation, it is unclear if the iNVM content is programmed on the external NVM, but it seems to be like this.

The easiest way to recover it would be to “impersonate” the device with the id as 1531, which is an option in lanconf init screen, then try to erase the flash and program the correct .bin (and not the iNVM bin). In case that it does not work, might have to desolder the flash off and erase it with a flash programmer.

Best regards,

Carlos_A.

elango!! Green Belt

Hello, Carlos_A

I have programmed Dev_Start_I210_Sgmii_NOMNG_16Mb_A2_3.25_0.03.bin file in my external flash connected with i210IS device. For communicating i210is with 88E6341 device, i have changed the 0x24 offset value to 0x4224 and changed the PHY address offset 0x13 value and checksum too.

Connection between 88E6341 and i210is is SMI and SGMII interface, When i'm enabling the MDIO interface i can see that some activity in MDIO signal, but in SGMII interface TX signal (in i210is) i'm not seeing any activity. In LANConf tool i have used transmit option and probed the SGMII signal, its showing nothing in oscilloscope and lanconf tool showing "c86a2008 - Adapter has no link".

Still i didn't modified igb driver code for supporting 88e6341 device, So Intel igb driver is not installing properly, i know, it's because of i210 sending request signal via MDIO interface and it's not getting response from 88e6341 device.

Anyway my assumption is, i210 can send the signal via SGMII interface, when using the lanconf tool transmit option and it can be viewed by oscilloscope without customised driver. Is it correct? Do i have to change any offset value apart from stated above?

Please advise me to come out of this issue.

Note :  PCB design verified by Intel.

Regards,

Elango M

Carlos_A Brown Belt

Hello, elango!! :

Thanks for your update.

It is important to let you know that the Intel drivers only support the 88E1111/1112. In case that you are using a part other than those, you will need to edit the drivers to support it.

The customized drivers should be tested and validated on your own or you should contact Marvel for the appropriate edits.

Best regards,

Carlos_A.