3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2018 7:02 AM by johndoody

Getting Started Building a XEON-D Embedded Solution

mmiliano Community Member

I am getting started with my design and have identified many CRB reference designs. I believe I have a grip on the development process, but I would like some insight from experienced developers.

Generally speaking I am interested in creating a small Xeon-D system will not too many frills- for instance here are the general system specs I am aiming for:

eMMC or NVMe

Headless (no video requirement, but what would this mean for debug and board bring-up? Not sure what interfaces I would need to actually "watch" the system come up and log into a Linux console)

NO Audio

for now...

Looking for a compact design and low power consumption here, which I why I am looking at the lower end D1500 line so I could avoid an external PCH and save space a power

I believe the things I need to worry about but need clarification on are:

1) CRB reference BIOS- BCV I believe these are bootable right out, but since I have never programmed a BIOS before I have no idea how difficult this will be

2) The CPLD for controlling the rails at powerup. I assume these CPLD designs are relatively simple and won't need modification

3) Coreboot- would this be preferable to a BIOS?

4) UEFI- is this something that you program or is this simply a driver you load. I understand that a UEFI is a specification that defines an interface between an operating system and platform firmware, but  how is this implemented? Is this also supplied in a CRB?

5) Primary Signed Image (PSI) & Second Level Bootloader (SLB): are these simply pieces of Coreboot or a BIOS, or are they yet another type of boot loader?

Thanks for some insights!