3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2010 4:45 AM by smi

Intel processors naming I3, I5 & I7

Green Belt

Hello,

I not new in the „Intel Processors world“ but I still I have a question regarding the Intel processors naming that would come from a newbie. Here the question: is there any characteristic or group of them which allow to classify the Intel Processors as I3, I5 or I7. I have seen a lot of features lists but I would get any characteristic which determines these names. Obviously, I7 has a better performance than I5 or I3, but this is something subjective, at least for designs which are on the border.

Even more, would you tell me what is the objective feature to classify a processor or chipset as Embedded and not as Mobile?

Regards,

SMI.

• Re: Intel processors naming I3, I5 & I7
          Brown Belt

The naming scheme can be a little confusing. The ARK website helps clear up the features - http://ark.intel.com/

You can compare different CPUs to see the feature sets. The Core i3 tend to have smaller cache sizes and do not support Intel VT-d or AES instructions.

For labeling a CPU as "embedded" ... that is Intel's decision to extend a long life cycle to manufacturing for the component. Embedded means they have tested the part, see that is has a fit in the market segment and guarantee a minimum 5-7 year life cycle. ARK will also list which parts have an embedded purchasing option.

• Re: Intel processors naming I3, I5 & I7
              Felix_M BlackBelt

Thanks Brian for pitching in.   Let me add a few additional comments:

First, you can find a lot more detail about the i3, i5, and i7 processors here:

http://edc.intel.com/Platforms/

Second, about the "embedded" classification. ... In addition to what Brian said, Intel supports its embedded customers in a different way from its PC OEMs.  Intel has a special group dedicated to the embedded market and this group offers various programs such as training. development boards, tools loaner, system design assistance, to name only a few.... all of which is designed expressly to help embedded developers get their designs to market.  These programs are focused exclusively to support the designated embedded parts. 

I hope this helps.

Felix