15 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2011 6:41 AM by Daniel_Lpg

EMGD driver for X 1.7.7 and kernel 2.6.33 (TinyCore Linux)

Green Belt

Hi every body,

My configuration:
      Board : intel Atom Z510 1.1 Ghz + US15W (menlow)
      Screen 800x600x24bits on LVDS port
      512Mo DDR2

I'm using TinyCore Linux (X 1.7.7 and 2.6.33-3 kernel).

And i want to have same (better) performances as ubuntu 8.04 with iegd driver.

I've installed Debian squeeze driver (for X1.7.3), but the system is blocked when X driver is loading! (stack error)

I've try Debian Squeeze with the driver, but it doesn't run!!!

Install Debian Squeeze

service gdm stop

install driver (intel script)

xorg.conf intel configuration!

service gdm start

==> can't load emgd driver!

Is there a problem with driver and / or install script ?

Any help is accepted!

• Re: EMGD driver for X 1.7.7 and kernel 2.6.33 (TinyCore Linux)
          Kirk Brown Belt

When we provide EMGD, we have to target specific distributions of Linux because the Linux market is so fractured.  Unfortunately, TinyCore is a distribution that we do NOT directly support. It is not completely bad news as the driver is fairly flexible and is successfully used on unsupported distros all the time. The kernel changes to DRM/GART, and scripts are provided as code that you can adapt.  The bigger thing is to be sure to MATCH the X version supported by a particular EMGD release as that generally cannot be adapted.

For example, the currently available release of EMGD (1.5.2) supportes MeeGo 1.0 kernel 2.6.33 with X 1.8.0 and Fedora 11 kernel 2.6.29 with X 1.6.  The kernel close matches the version of yours but the X server is a problem.  You would need to either backrev to 1.6 or upgrade to 1.8.

I believe a bigger problem is the TinyKernel which I've heard is really different from the mainline kernel (but eh DRM support may be able to be adapted).  Also, the Debian Squeeze X is also likely changed from mainline X so that could be even a bigger isse.

If you want accelerated vide/3D, have you considered MeeGo or Fedroa as your distro??

Hope this helps.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              Green Belt

Thanks Kirk!

If i understand, i have no hope using Debian squeeze driver (X 1.7.3 on Debian X 1.7.7) on TCL (X 1.7.7).

(remember that Intel Debian Squeeze driver on Debian Squeese doesn't run ... i do a driver test)

I choose TCL because it is very thin with very good performances! Thats very important for me and my products!

I have others differents machine with TCL. With performances (and size) i want!

(TCL will be more and more used : Google miss TCL choice ... with regrets)

I will try with on old X TCL version (Xorg 7.4 : X 1.6) with a correspondong intel driver ... have i any hope it runs ?

Green Belt

With X 1.6.1 and Intel driver 1.6.4 (from F11) i've got same result.

When emgd driver is starting to be loader, screen is frozen and nothing is possible!

Nothing visible in /var/log/messages

last lines of Xorg.0.log:

(II) Module kbd: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
                       compiled for 1.6.1, module version = 1.3.2
                       Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
                       ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 4.0
                  (II) EMGD: Intel(R) Embedded Media and Graphics Driver version 1.5.1816 for:
                       Intel US15W Class
                  (II) Primary Device is: PCI 00@00:02:0
                  (II) resource ranges after probing:
                       [0] -1     0     0xffffffff - 0xffffffff (0x1) MX[B]
                       [1] -1     0     0x000f0000 - 0x000fffff (0x10000) MX[B]
                       [2] -1     0     0x000c0000 - 0x000effff (0x30000) MX[B]
                       [3] -1     0     0x00000000 - 0x0009ffff (0xa0000) MX[B]
                       [4] -1     0     0x0000ffff - 0x0000ffff (0x1) IX[B]
                       [5] -1     0     0x00000000 - 0x00000000 (0x1) IX[B]
                  (==) EMGD(0): RGB weight 888
                  (==) EMGD(0): Default visual is TrueColor
                  drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
                  drmOpenDevice: open result is 7, (OK)

Community Member

I just wonder if I can get release of EMGD supportes Fedora 14 kernel 2.6.35 with X 1.9 because Fedora 11 is too old for us.

Green Belt

You're probably in the same boat as us Ubuntu folks. The intel guys will probably tell you the same thing, but here's the breakdown as far as I can tell.

If your kernel / xserver version match any of the EMGD profiles, then you can probably mess with the installer script to handle your setup. If they don't match, you can probably (depending on your level of investment) modify your stock build to conform to an existing profile.

In your case, kernel 2.6.35 and Xorg 1.9 are supported by the MeeGo 1.1 release. It's listed as "experemental" but intel said in another thread that it's generally stable. Prior to this I had frozen my Ubuntu 10.10 install with a custom 2.6.33 kernel and Xorg 1.7.99 server to match the MeeGo 1.0 profile. But DRI didn't work for me with the MeeGo 1.0, so no 3D acceleration.