7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2013 10:07 AM by JorgenO

Questions on the eBMU PMB 8753/2 Bluetooth Chip (Panasonic PAN1321)

BlueFire Green Belt

I have a few questions regarding the eBMU PMB 8753/2 Bluetooth chip that's in the Panasonic PAN1321. I just got it working on my prototype board and have figured most things out except the following. I have the chip configured as a slave that a phone connects to using SPP protocol.

1. If I increase the baud rate and my prototype board cannot handle the speed and therefore cannot communicate to the eBMU, how do I reset the baud rate in the eBMU back to the default? I discovered that a hard reset does not reset the baud rate. Is there a factory reset function?

2. It doesn't look like the Pin is stored in EEPROM, only the Name, so do I have to set the Pin every time I power up and connect to the eBMU?

3. Is it possible to communicate with the eBMU using no handshaking? I only have one COM port on my board that has RTS/CTS signals and I may want to use another port that does not support handshaking.

4. What is the difference between a software reset and a hardware reset?

5. I see that the PAN1321 has been obsoleted with the PAN1322 that uses the PMB 8754. Are there any significant differences between the PMB 8753/2 and the PBM 8754?

6. Is there any better documentation available other than what is published on the Panasonic website?

Thanks in advance.

• Re: Questions on the eBMU PMB 8753/2 Bluetooth Chip (Panasonic PAN1321)
          LynnZ Brown Belt

Hi, SkierHiker (BTW, I like to do both of those activities!!  -- getting excited to hit the slopes, just a few months away!)

I was able to track down an Intel Application Engineer who provided these responses to your questions:

"Please note that further support is to be provided by Panasonic or the distributor from where the PAN1321 module was purchased. Customers of PAN1321 should submit Panasonic’s support form.

1. 1. Factory default UART baudrate is 115,200 bps. Remember to read out individual Bluetooth device address and oscillator trim value before changing the baudrate. This is described in the Software Description for the SPP-AT application. There is no factory reset function. However, should you have access to the I2C interface you can reprogram the EEPROM. Note: If you reprogram the EEPROM without finding out pre-programmed Bluetooth address and oscillator trim value, you will have to
            assign a new address and likely also trim the onboard crystal oscillator.
          2. 2. It is not stored. Default PIN has to be initialized at every startup.
          3. 3. To use RTS/CTS is mandatory. Not using HW flow control could cause UART interface blocking or loss of data. RTS/CTS are also used in low power mode together with two sideband signals.
          4. 4. It’s recommend to also use the HW reset signal. HW reset can be used even if the AT interface is blocked. Effect after both types of resets should be the same.
          5. 5. PAN1322 is qualified for Core 2.1+EDR, so it adds e.g. Secure Simple Pairing (SSP). Other features that have been added are support of both short and long UUID and being able to register
            up to three services. Panasonic can provide detailed list of differences. PAN1322 is recommended for new designs.
          6. 6. Not sure if you have purchased only the module or the evaluation kit. The evaluation kit from the
            Panasonic website should have everything that is available. Here is Panasonic’s support request form."
          1 of 1 people found this helpful