2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2014 8:06 AM by LynnZ

Node.js on Intel Galileo

GuyD Green Belt

Because python and node.js are available for developing on the Intel Galileo I want probably give node.js a try.

- I suppose with node.js I can read sensor data and send commands to actuators?

- Are python and node.js equivalent (functionalities) for developing on the Intel Galileo?

- What are the pros/cons of developing in Python or node.js on Intel Galileo?

Many thanks.

• Re: Node.js on Intel Galileo
          LynnZ Brown Belt

Hi, Guy!  I haven't forgotten about you.  Stayed tuned for an answer!  In the meantime, I hope you're having a great day!  LynnZ.

• Re: Node.js on Intel Galileo
            LynnZ Brown Belt

Hello!  Here is the response that I received to pass onto you from Intel Customer Support - Engineering:

"This is general question on the differences between python and node.js. These two are used in many Unix systems, not just embedded or Galileo. Guy will need to determine which one to use. See the answers to the questions below, and the general answer for which one to use depends on the requirement:

• Python: is high-level programming scripts, like C language but
              it has better readability and it does not require compilation, Python is
              similar to Perl Language
            • Node.js: is a server and networking software that can run
              application writing in JavaScripts and it contains built-in HTTP server library
              making it possible to run a web server without additional software like Apache
              or WebSphere.

Responses to your questions are in italics below:

• I suppose with node.js I can read sensor data and send commands to actuators? Yes, not the best choice for this requirement, my choice is Python.
            • Are python and node.js equivalent (functionalities) for developing on the Intel Galileo? Different functionality regardless if it runs on Galileo or any other Linux system.
            • What are the pros/cons of developing in Python or node.js on Intel Galileo? The same pros/cons for developing on any other Linux system.