47 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2015 7:25 AM by Carlos_A

I210-IT operation

HenryT Green Belt

I am design in the I210-IT device and just wondering if I need to program any image to the iNVM internal to the device in order to get the device manger to recognize the device.

I am using windows 7.

• Re: I210-IT operation
          Leon Brown Belt

Hello HenryT,

Welcome to the Intel® Embedded Community.

Here is a reply from someone in our hardware team: The i210 can be used in an EEPROM-less design, but requires a custom driver to program the registers.

Custom drivers are not supported by Intel.

EEPROM files for various configurations of the i210 interfaces can be found online.

Best Regards,

Leon

HenryT Green Belt

Hi AdolfoS,

Thanks for the info provided. I am very new to this chip and don't know what are the right steps to get I210 up running at windows 7.

I checked section 1.5 and it refer to 1.4.3. I don't have external PHY attached to the I210. RJ45 with integrated magnet connected directly to the I210 only with no external serial Flash memory.

I don't know what features do I need. I just want the windows recognize the I210 and be able to access to the internet through I210. that's all I need.

When the document refer to flash-less, it is mean the serial flash memory attached to the I210?

Will it work with the requirement description above without the external serial flash memory?

Thanks

Henry

AdolfoS Brown Belt

Hello HenryT

Could you provide more details regarding the platform that you are using?

Is your i210 Controller soldered on a board, part of a NIC, or it has been purchased independently?

If it is part of the board, was the board designed/manufactured by yourselves or it is from a third party manufacturer?

HenryT Green Belt

Hi AdolfoS,

Thanks again for the help.

The platform is the board that I design in with the I210 network chip. The board design by myself and I am trying to bring up the I210 chip.

Unfortunately, I am not be able to see the I210 from the device manager on Windows 7 for some reason. I don't know what I am missing here in order to make it works.

Nothing have been program to the iNVM. Do I need to do anything special here to make it work?

I have attached the schematic for the circuit. currently, I do not have the Flash memory attached to the I210.

i210.jpg

Thanks

Henry

Leon Brown Belt

Hello HenryT,

In this case you can program the iNVM and disable EEPROM that is attached.

This should get you up and going.

The other option though since using iNVM would disable support for manageability related functionality

the work around for it is with the use of a serial flash memory.

Best Regards,

Leon

HenryT Green Belt

Hi Leon,

In this case you can program the iNVM and disable EEPROM that is attached.

Do you know which file should I use to program the iNVM?

What program do I need to use to program the file?

Thanks

Henry

AdolfoS Brown Belt

Hello HenryT

First to answer your previous questions:

When the document refer to flash-less, it is mean the serial flash memory attached to the I210?

Yes, flash-less mode use the internal iNVM memory of the i210 controller, it is a basic mode, and some of the features of the controlled won’t be enabled.

Will it work with the requirement description above without the external serial flash memory?

Yes in flash-less mode you won’t need a serial flash memory attached to the controller.

To program the controller you will need to follow these steps:

1) Download the programming tools for the controller in the following links:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/secure/intelligent-systems/privileged/quartzville-tools-284632.html

2) Download the production images for your controller that can be found in the following link:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/secure/intelligent-systems/privileged/gbe-i210-i211-nvm-images.html

3) Select the appropriate production image (it should be one of the images of the iNVM & I211 folder) customize it to suit your needs.

4) Program the image following the instructions of the EEUPDATE tool documentation and the document: Programming the iNVM (internal NVM) for the Intel® I211-ATSingle-Port Gigabit Network Connection device (And I210 in flash-lessmode)

5)Use the eeupdate tool to check that the controller has been programmed.

Step 3 is the most critical, since you are new to this controller here are some basic hints:

• Read carefully all the documentation provided with the tools and images, and make sure that you understand it.
                            • You should also read carefully the section 3.4 iNVM of the datasheet.
                            • Check Table 3-21 to have an idea of the registers that can be programmed in the iNVM
                            • iNVM is has a limited number of writes, if the memory is full you won’t be able to change additional parameters.
                            • Be careful with the Initialization Control Word 1 (address 0x0A) if you program it wrong you will lock the iNVM

This topic might also be useful to you: i210: absolutely necessary words in iNVM

Once you have programmed the i210 controller you should install the Windosw 7 driver:Intel® Download Center

Best Regards,

Adolfo

HenryT Green Belt

Hi Adolfo,

Do you what level of PECLKP and PECLKN are support to do?

Is it HCSL input or LVDS?

Thanks

Henry

AdolfoS Brown Belt

I am trying to program the INVM for the I210 and received these error message.

Anyone know what is this message mean?

"Error code - 0x13 : INVM content can't be merged."invm.png

Hello HenryT

Please try the following:

1) Make sure that the SECURITY_EN strapping option is disabled berfore programming

2)Execute the command in the following order

EEUPDATEW32 /NIC=1 /INVMUPDATE /FILE=I210_Invm_Copper_APM_v0.6.txt

If that doesn’t result please execute the following commands:

EEUPDATEW32 /NIC=1 /INVMISLOCKED

EEUPDATEW32 /NIC=1 /INVMTEST /FILE=I210_Invm_Copper_APM_v0.6.txt

I hope this is useful to you

Best Regards,

Adolfo

HenryT Green Belt

Hi Adolfo,

The SECURITY_EN by pulling NVM_SI pin 12 to ground but it will LOCK INVM.

It is how to disable the SECUTIRY_EN?

Thanks

Henry

AdolfoS Brown Belt

Hello HenryT

Qouting from the Intel® Ethernet Controller I210/I211 Frequently Asked Questions:

Pin 12 on the I210 is designated for the purpose of overriding the security feature. To override the

security when it is in effect, a pull down resistor can be applied to that pin. This pin is sampled during

initialization to determine if security is disabled.

Best Regards,

Adolfo

HenryT Green Belt

Hi Adolfo,

I pulled i210 pin 12 to ground.

I had executed the following command

1. EEUPDATEW32 /NIC=1 /INVMISLOCKED

2. EEUPDATEW32 /NIC=1 /INVMTEST /FILE=I210_Invm_Copper_APM_v0.6.txt

Message : " check size of empty space after update......verify autoload configuration...."

"Error code 0x13  INVM content can't be merged".

Any though on these error messages??

Thanks

Henry

AdolfoS Brown Belt

Hi @HenryT

Please send me the image via e-mail, our engineers will examine it, and make suggestions based on its content.

Best regards,

Adolfo.

HenryT Green Belt

Hi Adolfo,

I have another try by install the flash memory that I removed from the HP network adapter that using the same chip i210-AT

I went through the lancomfW32.exe and see the flash content.

I installed the network driver for the windows 7.

I still can't get the windows to recognize the i210. Anything else that I am missing ?

Thanks

Henry

AdolfoS Brown Belt

Hello @HenryT

Could you please try the Diagnostic Tool from LANConftool again, with the Flash connected to the i210 and send a Screenshot?

Best Regards,

Adolfo.

HenryT Green Belt

Hi Adolfo,

Do you know which file should I use to program the flash memory and INVM?

Flash memory

1. Transitional images

2. Twisted_pair

INVM

1.  i210_Invm_Copper_APM_v0.6.txt

2.  i210_Invm_Copper_NoAPM_v0.6.txt

Thanks

Henry

AdolfoS Brown Belt

Hello HenryT

Sorry for the delay, the image that you need to program is entirely dependent on the hardware that you have and the needs of your project, for example if you decide to use Flash memory you won't be using the INVM images. Or if you decide to design your hardware without a Flash memory you will use the INVM image.

Even then you will have to choose the image based on what features of the I210 Ethernet controller you need to use, for example the APM image will allow you to use Advanced Power Management with your device, but if you choose the NoAPM version you won't be able to use that feature.

I hope this is helpful to you,

Best Regards

Adolfo

HenryT Green Belt

Hi Adolfo,

Finally, I am be able to get the i210 working. Thank you so much for all the help....

one more question, I use the conlanfw32.exe to open the adapter manual.

Sometime I can't initialize the i210.

When I go to the FLASH menu, the READ and WRITE flash have been gray out.

I can't program the flash memory.

Do you know why?

Thanks

Henry

AdolfoS Brown Belt

Hi HenryT

Is your problem with the flash sporadic?

Are you using the flash or the iNVM image?

What image file are you using? Did you make any modification to the file before programming?

Best Regards,

Adolfo

HenryT Green Belt

Hi Adolfo,

Is your problem with the flash sporadic?  I have to disable the driver from window before initialize the chip. Sometime, I can program it and sometime I can't. I don't know why.

Are you using the flash or the iNVM image? I am using flash image now.

What image file are you using? Did you make any modification to the file before programming?

I am using traditional_from_3.11_4Mb.bin.   I don't know how to modify the file.   Anyway to modify this file?

Thanks

Henry