10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2017 7:41 AM by Carlos_A

What is I210-AS?

RiLu Community Member

Hello,

I ordered10 samples of I210-IS (Industrial temperature, Serdes option) to Mouser, and I got 10 samples marked I210-AS. I was worried that they might be commercial temperature devices (like I210-AT is the commercial version, and I210-IT the industrial one, of the 'copper' controller), but when I search I210-AS on Intel website I cannot find any reference. Can anybody tell me what is a I210-AS, and what is its temperature range?

Thanks 

• Re: What is I210-AS?
          jc Brown Belt

Hello Luca Rigazio.

Welcome to Intel® Embedded Community.

We are checking your thread and will post an update as soon as possible.

Regards.

Josue.

jc Brown Belt

Hello Luca Rigazio.

The difference between  I210-IS and I210-AS is the Operating Temperature Range:

I210-IS: -40° C - 85° C

I210-AS: 0° C - 70° C

Please refer to Intel® Ethernet Controller I210 Datasheet and Figure 1-3 I210 Production Top Marking Example (Industrial Temperature Fiber) from Intel® Ethernet Controller I210 Specification Update.

Best Regards.

Josue.

RiLu Community Member

Hello Josue,

thanks for your prompt reply, but I am  still a bit confused.

If I search on Intel web site, I find this page about the I210-211 family:

http://www.intel.eu/content/www/eu/en/embedded/products/networking/ethernet-controller-i210-i211-family.html

Here I see that there are four devices in the family:

I210-AT: 0°/70°C, twisted pair

I210-IT: -40°/85°C, twisted pair

I210-IS: -40°/85°C, Serdes/SGM II

I211-AT: 0°/70°C, twisted pair, iNVM (not interesting for me)

From these data, we might guess what you said, namely that the 'A' means commercial temperature and 'I' industrial. But there is no hint of a I210AS device, and I don't understand why, since I have just bought it.

Then, if we look at the Spec Update you provided me, http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/specification-updates/i210-ethernet-controller-spec-update.pdf, we see that there are (for the I210, let's forget the I211):

1) Three different markings: WGI210AT, WGI210IT, WGI210IS (and still no WGI210AS)

2) Five different Device IDs, which discriminate device functionality (copper, fiber, 1000BASE-KX/BX, SGM II), and where there is no trace of I210AS, which however should be equivalent to an I210IS, as far as device functionality is concerned;

3) Six different MM Numbers, which discriminate temperature, functionality and media, and which are not part of device markings. (from Mouser I ordered SLJXX). Still no trace of I210AS.

At last, there are three "examples" of production top marking, where we discover that there is a lower right capital 'I', marked on package, which means 'industrial temperature', an information which in the first two examples agrees with the A/I rule guessed above, but in the third example totally disagrees, since it says that a I210AS (and this is the first and only time we see this name in this document) can be an industrial temperature device anyway, if a 'I' is present in the lower right corner (like the devices I bought from Mouser).

I'm inclined to believe to the "lower right I" rule to identify an industrial temperature device, but the real question is: why such a mess? And why no hint of a I210AS, but a picture?

Thanks

Luca

LynnZ Brown Belt

Hello, Luca!

Thanks for your comments.  I210-AS is not on our official roadmap which is why you don't see it on the I210/211 product page.  I210-AS is not industrial temperature, but I210-IS is. We will also work with the distributor to correct their website as some product comments are not accurate.  We suggest that you contact the distributor to return the "AS" version and use the "IS" as "IS" provides extended temp.  LynnZ.