9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2015 9:00 AM by Carlos_A

Thermal Dissipation of I210

Adan.Ortiz Community Member

I'm using the I210 on a hot ambient and I need more specific Thermal resistance Juntion to Case value and Max Operational Juntion Temperature.

I don't trust on the Datasheet's Thermal resistance Juntion Top Case because it state 0.06 no airflow and 0.63 3ms of airflow, how could it be possible?

Also I don't understand the table 13-24, It is using the thermal resistance juntion ambient to get the case temperature, but if you use the Juntion Ambien resistance you will get the juntion temperature rather than the case temperature.

Could you confirm the Max Operational Juntion Temperature and also the Thermal resistance Juntion to Case?

• Re: Thermal Dissipation of I210
          jc Brown Belt

Hello Adan,

Thanks for contacting Intel Embedded Community,

We are working in your case, we will contact you as soon as possible with additional information.

Regards,

Josue.

jc Brown Belt

Hello Adan,

According to the section 13.4 Terminology and Definitions:

ΨJT (Psi JT): Junction-to-top (of package) thermal characterization parameter. ΨJT does not represent thermal resistance ... This parameter can vary with environmental conditions, such as airflow, thermal solution presence, and design.

According to the section 13.5.2 Thermal Specifications:

The following table lists the package specific parameters under different conditions and environments. The values ”©JA and ΨJT should be used as reference only as they will vary by system environment and thermal solution.

Please let me know if you have any other question.

Regards,

Josue.

Yes I know what the datasheet are stating and I know that the temperature of the case is acording the Board's thermal design, but Max_Operating_Juntion_Temperature and Thermal_Resistance_Juntion-to-Case are not acording the board's thermal design, these are just because Intel's design.

Could you provide these values?

Thanks in advance.

jc Brown Belt

Hello Adan,

We are going to check, and we will let you know as soon as we have any update, please stay tuned.

Best Regards.

Josue.

Green Belt

Hi Aidan,

We've escalated this and when we hear back from our engineers, we'll be sure to let you know. Please stay tuned.

Best,

Eunike

jc Brown Belt

Hello Adan,

Tcase-max is 105C, Tj-max is variable, PsiJT is variable and PTDP is 0.8W

In a thermal simulation environment, PsiJT will vary with airflow as it relates to the thermal conductivity from the silicon to the case.

Operational max junction temperature:

It is variable based on airflow, but in a no airflow environment, it is 105.048C.

But in a 3m/s airflow environment, that changes to 105.504C as PsiJT increases due to more airflow on the case.

Thermal resistance from Junction to Case:

This is characterized by PsiJT using the equation

Equation Thermal.png

it is possible to determine the maximum junction temperature at a given airflow, assuming that the Tcase is maintained at 105C(the max), it is drawing the maximum power(0.8W) and airflow is varied.

0.8W as max Ptdp, and Ptdp = TDP

Best Regards.

Josue.

Hi JC.

How it could be possible?

The Max Operation Junction temperature is the MAXIMUM DIE temperature that the silicon could tolerate in operational conditions, This DIE temperature can't vary, it is as crazy as say your body can be more than 100 oF without problems if your jacket have airflow.

See the Theta JA parameter and its value is reduced as the air flow is increased, the Phi JT should have same behavior. This Phi value represent the delta temperature in oC between Junction and case. The numbers in the datasheet are as crazy as say that you get hotter with a fan in front of you and you get cooler without a fan.

jc Brown Belt

Hello Adan,

The key information in our spec is that the Tcase max is 105C. The operational junction temperature may change but the case temperature should never go above the 105C. 

The die temperature will increase due to ambient temperature and the heat dissipated on the die. Now, higher LFM will be more effective in removing the heat from the case and indirectly from the die at the same time. This is expressed by higher PsiJ-T for 3m/s LFM vs. 0m/s LFM. 

This additional cooling effect on the case allows for a bit higher junction operational temperature to begin with.  The increased LFM will take care of the additional heat sourced from the die.

The way to look at it, is that with higher air flow (LFM), higher junction temperature is allowed, and yet the case temperature will not increase above the maximum allowed. 

As the 3m/s airflow should cool off the die more than 0m/s and it is inconceivable for the die to be hotter.

Best Regards.

Josue.

Carlos_A Brown Belt

Hello Adan,

Could you please let us know if you have any update related to this?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Best Regards,

Carlos A.