5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2016 11:55 AM by Carlos_A

i210 SGMII 100-base-fx

l00king Green Belt

Hello,

I've got i210 controller which is configured in SGMII mode, it doesn't work with SGMII SFP module AOP-303PH-R02D based on BCM5461 chip

My OS is Linux and I see in source code of igb driver that BCM5461 not listed there.

Are you going to support this one?

Have you got part numbers of 100-base-fx SFP modules which works with i210 in SGMII mode?

• Re: i210 SGMII 100-base-fx
          Carlos_A Brown Belt

Hello l00king,

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

It is important to let you know that the 100BASE-FX natively is unsupported by the I210. It is supported through SGMII with Intel’s software device driver. It requires an external PHY like the Marvell* 88E1112. The 88E112 could be embedded into an SFP module that supports 100BASE-FX.

This solution could be:

The I210 in SGMII mode <=> Marvell 88e112 <=> SFP cage.

You can confirm this information in answer to question 22 of the Intel(R) Ethernet Controller I210/I211 Frequently Asked Questions [FAQs].

Best Regards,
          Carlos A.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              l00king Green Belt

Thank you, Carlos_A I know about 88E1112 and about this FAQ.

But have you got information in which SFP modules it's built in?

Carlos_A Brown Belt

Hello l00king,

Thanks for your reply.

The following screenshot related to the cited external PHY may answer your previous question and it has been attached as a reference:

Please let us know if this information is useful to you.

Best Regards,

Carlos A.

abogdanenko Community Member

Hello, Carlos_A,

I have Intel 82580 controller and I am looking for a SFP module that supports 100BaseFX.

I would like to configure it using either Linux kernel driver (igb) or, preferably, Intel DPDK poll-mode driver. The DPDK driver seems to share most code with the kernel driver, so getting SFPs that work in Linux seems like a good start.

I bought SFP modules based on Marvell 88E1113 PHY chip, however, they don't seem to work in Linux. The modules do work with the DPDK driver, sometimes. I was able to forward traffic with example app that shipped with DPDK. The problem is that modules stop working for some reason. For example, after a reboot or removal/insertion I can't get the links up.

I don't see any mention of the Marvell 88E1113 PHY chip in the source code, but I was hoping it operates just like 88E1112, could you confirm that it is supported or perhaps suggest a SPF module that is known to work?

Some additional info:

Module vendor: FiberTrade, part number: FT-SFP-GE-100FX

Thanks,

Alexey