3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2015 8:51 AM by Carlos_A

I210 re-initialize issue

linjic Community Member

We have server system using I210 as share network for both PCH chipset and BMC.

When OS windows disable network device manually on windows, the network activity for BMC will also be disabled.

The correct behavior should be BMC be able re-initialize I210 after disable to get the network back. 

However, as describe below some unexpected behavior caused the network issue.

Description:

When host OS is windows and user disabled network device, NCSI(I210) will keep send "Link Status Change" AEN to BMC per second.

It'll make BMC keep to reset and enable NCSI cause network could not used.

Test Environment:

Verified OS : windows7, windows 8.1 and windows 10.

Verified Driver : 18.4, 18.5, 18.6, 18.7, 18.8.1, 19.0, 19.1, 19.3, 19.5, 20.0 and 20.2

Test case:

[1] Initialize and Boot BMC

[2] Disabled network device in windows.

Result:

NCSI still send AEN "Link Status Change 0x60" when windows diabled device then send AEN "Link Status Change 0x6b" and BMC reset and enable NCSI will failed.

Even we execute command to down/up network device,

NCSI will keep send AEN "Link Status Change 0x6b or 0x65", which cause BMC keep to reset and enable NCSI and not allow the network for BMC to work properly.

Regards

James